Have you thought about your fuel tank recently?
Chances are if your fuel tank is buried underground, it’s “out of sight is out of mind.”
Tanks last for decades without problems. But nothing lasts forever. Because the life expectancies of buried oil tanks vary—depending on materials its made of, the installation, and the type of surrounding soil—you might want to give thought to the benefits of inspecting and upgrading your fuel tank.
DOES YOUR UNDERGROUND TANK STILL MAKE THE GRADE?
If you have an underground tank, there are several tests we can run to see if replacement is necessary. In the past, homeowners have been misled by attempts to make underground storage tanks look unsafe. Consider the real facts on heating oil tanks before you decide!
- FACT: Oil Storage Tanks Rarely Leak: Despite that, it is a good idea to have yours inspected if it has not been. It will give you peace of mind, or allow you to head off a bigger problem.
- FACT: There is no New Jersey State or federal regulation requiring removal of a properly functioning residential heating oil storage tank.
- FACT: Many methods are available to check your tank’s condition. To get a reliable assessment of which test or tests are most appropriate for your tank, contact us.
IF YOU HAVE AN ABOVE-GROUND TANK
Check it regularly. As with any well-used household item, your oil tank can change due to age and the environment it is in. Please know that oil tanks deteriorate from the inside out, so you might not be able to evaluate the extent of a problem from a visual inspection. But any sign of trouble is worth investigating. It only takes a moment.
Visit your oil tank, look it over, and check off any of the pertinent items below:
- ▢ 1. Are the tank legs unstable or on an uneven surface?
- ▢ 2. On the surface of the tank: Do you see rust, weeping, wet spots, or excessive dents
- ▢ 3. Around the oil filter or valves: Do you see any signs of leaks or drips?
- ▢ 4. On the floor: Do you see any drips or wet spots?
- ▢ 5. Do the oil lines run under concrete or above ground without being encased in protective tubing?
- ▢ 6. Outside, is the tank’s vent clogged or blocked with snow and ice?
- ▢ 7. Is the tank’s gauge stuck or frozen? Do you see any staining around the gauge?
- ▢ 8. For outside tanks, are there any threats of snow or ice falling on the oil tank or filter?
- ▢ 9. Is your tank more than 20 years old? (If you are unsure, we might have a record on that, so do call us to check).
If you checked of one or more of these items, call us for a FREE tank inspection. It is important to catch minor problems and fix them before they become huge headaches. Call our service department today and speak to Ralph to schedule an appointment.
THINKING OF INSTALLING AN ABOVE-GROUND TANK?
We highly recommend Roth Safety Tanks. They are manufactured to the highest standards, offering you economical, safe, compact and problem-free storage of heating oil.
Roth tanks feature:
- Blow-molded seamless inner tank of high-density polyethylene, which is absolutely leak-proof and corrosion resistant
- Protective outer tank made of galvanized steel, lock seamed and sealed with an oil- and fire-resistant seal
- Quality Control procedures ensuring that every inner and outer tank has been pressure tested for uniform thickness and integrity
- Attractive and rust-resistant for long life
- Highly visible leak alarm
- Low weight – 55% of the weight of 12-gauge steel tanks
- Compact design
- 165-, 275- or 400-gallon models available
We are also proud to sell and install the “Super Tank” by Bristol Tank & Welding Co., Inc. Quality built of 12-gauge stainless steel, the “Super Tank” comes in 275- or 330-gallon sizes.
And if you think your above-ground tank is a bit unsightly …
Try a tank enclosure! Our Tank Tub, by Oil Storage Solutions, is an attractive way to cover your outdoor above-ground tank. It comes in a variety of colors to blend with your siding or landscaping, yet it stands up to all kinds of inclement weather.
- Size: 85L x 36W x 57H; weight : 175 lbs.
- UL listed
- Meets and exceeds EPA requirements
- Designed for both 275- and 330-gallon tanks
- Extends life of oil tank and prevents oil line freeze-ups
- Cover can still be lifted after installing internal or external fill and vent
- 2-piece construction for easy installation
- 4 colors available: white, grey, hunter green and two-tone beige
- 12-year warranty